With all the fresh vegetables in season during these summer months, lentils are an easy and delicious accompaniment. Here is our recipe for Lentil Hummus and Roasted Vegetable Sandwich.
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 small onion, finely diced and divided into two parts
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (keep one clove separate)
- 3/4 tsp salt, plus a little extra
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs olive oil, plus a little extra
- 1/4 tsp pepper, plus a little extra
- 3 Tbs fresh mixed herbs (mint, parsley, cilantro, thyme, or whatever you have on hand – we used a combination of mint and thyme)
- 2 different summer vegetables such as squash, zucchini, or eggplant, chopped
- 1 loaf of ciabatta
Turn oven to high on broil.
Rinse the lentils and cover them generously with water in a saucepan. Bring them to a boil with 1/2 the onion, bay leaf, 1 Tbs garlic, and 1/2 tsp salt. Once they have reached a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer until they are cooked, about 20 to 25 minutes. The lentils should be tender, but still a little firm. Drain the lentils and save the liquid for later to be used as soup stock.
Allow the lentils to cool enough to put in the blender or food processor with the lemon juice, olive oil, pepper, and remaining garlic, onion, and salt. Blend until there is a thick and smooth consistency.
While the lentils are cooling, place the chopped vegetables on a roasting pan. Toss lightly with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in the oven until they are beginning to soften and brown, about 10 minutes or until done.
Mix the fresh herbs with the roasted vegetables.
Cut the ciabatta bread into 6 pieces, sliced in half. Spread the hummus on one side and then pile high with roasted vegetables. You will have left over hummus most likely – great with pita chips. You can also top with slices of heirloom tomatoes and feta cheese crumbles.
Enjoy (and make sure to have napkins…it can get a bit messy)!